Friday, January 21, 2011

About a Boy

So we have to pass on The Abominable Dr. Phibes and we move onto:



About a Boy-2002, starring Hugh Grant and Tobi Collete
He says-Self-absorbed bachelor Grant, who happily lives a hedonistic existence, comes into the life of an isolated, misfit 12-year old boy whose mom is chronically depressed.  Out of this unlikely situation a friendship slowly develops in which the boy and the man fill the voids in each other's lives.  Bright, unpredictable, and refreshingly humanistic comedy-drama doesn't hew to any formula and though it skirts credibility at times it comes up a winner.  Based on the novel by Nick Hornby, coscripted by the directors.  3 stars.

I say-  The kid is what threw me off of this movie.  Hugh Grant was great, but the kid made the movie incredibly awkward.  2 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity...what is your rating scale? Is it out of 4 or out of 5 stars?

    This is actually the first movie I've seen that I've actually heard of. Although this may be due to age, or the fact that I didn't have t.v. for almost 2 years so I missed quite a bit. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is out of 4 stars. And most of these movies I have never heard of. We've got like 80 years worth in here!

    ReplyDelete