Wednesday, January 26, 2011

About Schmidt

This was an interesting one, because Jack Nicholson is trying to get to Denver (where I live) to get to a wedding (I'm getting married in May).  Also, this is my 22nd review.  As such, I've decided that this will be my last 22 word review.  I need more space to write, so while it seemed like a good idea at a time, I can't have constraints.  So here goes.


About Schmidt-2002, starring Jack Nichoson and Kathy Bates. 

Leonard says:  Superb human comedy about a newly retired insurance actuary in Nebraska who begins- for the first time- to question the choices he has made in life.  Subtle, deliberately paced, and splendidly acted, with as many sad moments as funny ones.  Nichoson's magnificently quiet, true performance may be the best of his career.  Enhanced by Rolfe Kent's perfectly nuanced score.  Payne and Jim Taylor (loosely) adapted Louis Begley's novel.  3 and a half stars.

I say--Great performance from Jack, but you have to deal with a naked Kathy Bates, which is not a good thing.  Very emotional.  3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment