Monday, May 2, 2011

Adaptation



Adaptation-2002, starring Nicolas Cage, Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper, Ron Livingston, Tilda Swinton, and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Malty says- Super-neurotic screenwriter Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich) is hired to adapt Susan Orlean's book The Orchid Thief as a movie, but finds it a tortuous process.  His carefree twin brother, Donald, has no such problems, and even tries his hand at writing.  We also meet author Orlean (Streep) and her main subject, a colorful Southern character who knows everything there is to know about plants (Cooper, in an Oscar winning performance).  Surreal, dazzling, dizzying, often perplexing but brilliant film about the creative process; Cage (in two distinct performances as the twin brothers), Streep, and Cooper are all great.  Cameos by John Malkovich, Catherine Keener, John Cusack, David O. Russell, and Curtis Hanson (as Streep's husband).  Screenplay is credited to Charlie and (the late) Donald Kaufman.  3 and a half stars.

I say- I know I haven't been blogging enough, but I'm getting married next week.  I hope to knock out 3 or 4 more before I disappear for a few weeks, but we'll see!  Anyway, I guess I'm not artsy enough for this one.  I know lots of people absolutely adore this movie.  I hate Nicolas Cage, but he was great in this one!  The acting was awesome and Cooper deserved the Oscar, however, that being said, I found it to be too self-indulgent for my tastes.  A good watch if you are studying film, however, avoid otherwise.  I did not like Spike Jonze's latest effort, Where the Wild Things Are, either.  2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment